Information on Brexit



on the rules of entry and residence of UK citizens and their family members
following the exit of the United Kingdom from the European Union


1. Regulations in force

All EEA citizens, presently including UK citizens, are entitled to stay up to 90 days after entering the territory of Hungary without a separate permit.

EEA citizens are entitled to stay more than 90 days within a 180-day period in possession of a registration certificate.

Third-country national family members accompanying or joining an EEA national may receive a residence card.

Lawful residence in Hungary for five years without interruption entitles EEA nationals to permanent residence and the same applies to third-country national family members of an EEA national. If an EEA national has acquired the right of permanent residence, the holder of the right of residence as a family member is also entitled to it.

By obtaining the first aliens policing document, EEA citizens and their family members establish their permanent residence, thus they are provided with an official address card in Hungary, though they do not receive ID-card.


2. Regulation coming into force after the United Kingdom having left the European Union

The European Union and the United Kingdom have agreed that current regulations continue to apply during the transition period ending on 31 December 2020.

Residency rights during the transition period

For stays for over 90 days Hungary currently operates a registration system for EU citizens, under the provisions of Act I of 2007 on the Entry and Stay of Persons with the Right to Free Movement and Residence. They may obtain a registration certificate and after five years of residence, a permanent residence card. For third country national family members of EU nationals the immigration authority issues a residence card and after five years of residence a permanent residence card. By obtaining the first Hungarian alien policing document, EU nationals and their family members establish permanent residence with, and, at the same time, hold an official certificate of residence.

For detailed information about the procedure, see the website of the National Directorate-General for Aliens Policing ( for EEA nationals and for third-country national family members.

Under the terms of the Withdrawal Agreement a transition period applies, during which citizens’ rights related to entry and residence are not affected by changes.  Free movement rights and conditions continue to apply, and registration certificates/residence cards are issued to those arriving to Hungary during the transition period in case of a stay for more than 90 days.

May 2020


Last modified on


    If you use this program, you can fill in the form electronically and check if all necessary answers were given by you. In addition, the completed form can be saved and printed on your own computer. The function is optimized for Word 2007. If you do not have this program on your computer, you can download the forms in pdf format from the information sheet of the head menu.
    Under construction



    If you use the online booking system, you can get assistance in your case without standing in line, as a competent desk officer will be designated to handle your case at one of our customer service offices at the reserved time. For better visualisation, we recommend using Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox browsers.

    Select case category


    Provision available in the event of a residence permit for an indefinite period of stay

    If you answer the questions, you can find out what kind of application for residence permit you should submit within 3 minutes, and you will also find all the information related to the selected application type at the end of the questionnaire.
    Under construction

    The purpose of the Application:

  • Evaluation

    The development of the website of the Office of Immigration and Nationality was funded by the European Union, co-financed by the European Integration Fund.

    Please help us by evaulating the new website!

    Önnek hogy tetszik új oldalunk?

    I really like it
    I like it
    It’s neutral
    I don’t like it
    I really don’t like it
    5 Votes left

    jVS by


You can send your questions or comments to the Office via this web-site quickly and easily. Please, fill in the gaps, thus enhancing the accurate and quick response!


As it was specified by law the official decisions, which procedures started after 1 November 2005, are announced on the website of the Office of Immigration and Nationality.


If you want to book an appointment, you should register on the online reservation system, but other functions of the website are available without registering.