Information for diplomatic missions accredited to Hungary

LOGO kicsi 


In view of the war situation in Ukraine, taking humanitarian considerations into account, Hungary allows the border crossing of third country nationals fleeing from Ukraine with consideration of the following. 

After entering, foreign nationals are required to declare their intention to the police officers registering them on the spot, primarily at border crossing points or registration points, whether they intend to return to their home country or continue their travel onwards.


In case foreign nationals not meeting the entry conditions[1] are not registered (on the spot) due to the large number of persons entering the territory of Hungary or other reasons, foreign nationals are required to visit the competent regional office of the National Directorate-General for Aliens Policing (hereinafter referred to as NDGAP) as per their place of accommodation in Hungary during opening hours and declare their intention in order to facilitate the processing of a procedure relevant in their case and the issuance of a certificate. The contact details of NDGAP (locations and opening hours) are available on the website:


NDGAP may also provide the possibility to receive larger groups of nationals of a foreign country (min. 20 persons) at a prearranged time and location, subject to prior agreement with the diplomatic mission(s) and/or consular post(s). If you wish to make use of this option, please send an e-mail to  This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.  to arrange the details.


In order to speed up the administration process, please ensure that all persons who appear before NDGAP can present their travel documents upon their appearance. In case a foreign national does not have travel documents, please, provide the foreign national with a return document necessary for identification purposes prior to their appearance before NDGAP.


Third country nationals appearing before NDGAP will be issued a Certificate of Temporary Residence valid for 30 days; within the validity period third country nationals are required to leave Hungary. If a third country national fails to leave the territory of Hungary within the validity period of a Certificate of Temporary Residence, despite all his/her efforts, the third country national is required to appear before NDGAP again within the period of validity of the document. Please note that a Certificate of Temporary Residence issued by NDGAP only entitles its holder to a stay within the territory of Hungary. It is therefore recommended that the persons concerned leave the territory of the European Union by air from Hungary.


Please note that if a third country national has not been provided with a Certificate of Temporary Residence but leaves Hungary within a short period of time (up to one week), the lack of a Certificate of Temporary Residence will not restrain his/her exit; therefore, appearing before NDGAP is not necessary for foreign nationals to obtain a Certificate of Temporary Residence in such a case.


For those non-Ukraine third-country nationals who are not able to leave Hungary within the validity period of the issued certificate of temporary residence, there is a possibility to apply for a support ensured by the International Organization for Migration (IOM) or by the authority.


Further information on the assisted voluntary return program can be reached at Within the programme, IOM can ensure flight tickets and if needed for entry to the country of destination, COVID-19 testing. Applications can be submitted at:


Third-country nationals can also apply for support regarding return at our authority. After applying at our authority, we will ensure a flight ticket and if needed COVID-19 testing after consulting. Applications can be submitted by sending an e-mail to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . In the e-mail please include the name of the returnee, the current place of stay, the country of destination where he/she wishes to return back in English or in Hungarian and please attach a copy of the data page of the travel document. In case the number of applications with the same destination country justifies it, the authority may consider organizing a charter flight.


NDGAP kindly requests the cooperation of the diplomatic missions and consular posts to facilitate and support the return of their citizens within the period of validity of the Certificate of Temporary Residence and to notify NDGAP at  This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.  in case of any arising problems or obstacles.


Contact information for IOM and the “Hungarian Assisted Voluntary Return, Reintegration and Information Programme”:

Hotline available in various languages free of charge within the territory of Hungary: +36 80 205 018

E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.


[1] i.e. foreign nationals who are not entitled to a visa-free stay based on their travel document, and who do not have a Schengen Visa or a residence permit

Last modified on


    If you use this program, you can fill in the form electronically and check if all necessary answers were given by you. In addition, the completed form can be saved and printed on your own computer. The function is optimized for Word 2007. If you do not have this program on your computer, you can download the forms in pdf format from the information sheet of the head menu.
    Under construction



    Family members of a Hungarian national are:
    • the spouse of a Hungarian national;
    • the minor child (including adopted and foster children) of a Hungarian spouse where the spouse has parental custody;
    • a person having and exercising parental custody of a Hungarian minor child and living in the same household as the Hungarian national

    Family members of an EEA national are:
    • the spouse of an EEA national;
    • the descendants of an EEA national and those of the spouse of an EEA national who are under the age of 21 years or are dependents;
    • the dependent ascendents of an EEA national and those of the spouse of an EEA national, as well as
    • any person whose entry and residence has been authorised by the competent immigration authority as a family member;
    • the partner with whom the EEA national has entered into a registered partnership before the relevant Hungarian authority or the authority of another Member State of the European Union

    Council Directive 2003/109/EC of 25 November 2003 concerning the status of third-country nationals who are long-term residents
    The Council Directive 2003/109/EC determines:
    (a) the terms for conferring and withdrawing long-term resident status granted by a Member State in relation to third-country nationals legally residing in its territory, and the rights pertaining thereto; and
    (b) the terms of residence in Member States other than the one which conferred long-term status on them for third-country nationals enjoying that status.

    Provision available in the event of a residence permit for an indefinite period of stay

    If you answer the questions, you can find out what kind of application for residence permit you should submit within 3 minutes, and you will also find all the information related to the selected application type at the end of the questionnaire.

    The purpose of the Application:

  • Home Affairs funds


    For further information on the projects implemented by the National Directorate-General for Aliens Policing and co-financed by the Home Affairs Funds of the European Union please click here.



    logo mmia picien



As it was specified by law the official decisions, which procedures started after 1 November 2005, are announced on the website of the Office of Immigration and Nationality. If there is no result with the provided data in the search engine below, please click on the HIRDETMENY link, and repeat the search on the interface that appears.




Tisztelt Ügyfelünk!

Nyújtsa be kérelmét online! 

Kizárólag elektronikus úton benyújtható ügytípusok 2023. január 1-től 


Dear Client!

Submit your application online!

Case types that can only be submitted electronically from January 1, 2023


 gomb2student kicsigomb