Bevándorlási és Állampolgársági Hivatal

Switch to desktop Register Login


Short-term Mobility Certificate Of Researchers

Short-term mobility certificate of researchers

(maximum 180 days of stay in a 360-day period)


Researcher: a third-country national holding a residence permit issued by a Member State of the European Union for the purpose of research for stay in the territory of Hungary for a period not exceeding 180 days in a 360-day period, if he/she intends to carry out part of the research in a Hungarian research organisation under a hosting agreement concluded with a research organisation accredited under specific other legislation.

Researcher’s family member: family member of a third-country national having submitted mobility notification as specified above, who hold a valid residence permit issued by the first Member State on the basis of family relationship.



Third-country national

Research organisation

First Member State

Second Member State



Requirements: the completed form, facial photograph made not more than 3 months previously, residence permit issued by the first Member State for the purpose of research and valid travel document, and the prescribed enclosures. Please note that when submitting the notification the applicant is required to appear before the authority in person, except if unable to appear due to his/her health condition.

Application for short-term mobility certificate of researchers can be submitted upon registration on the electronic platform of the immigration authority for procedure initiation. For more details on electronic administration, please click here.

If the applicant is a minor of limited capacity or if incompetent, the notification may be submitted by the applicant’s legal representative in his/her stead.


The application for short-term mobility notification for the purpose of research shall be submitted at the regional directorate responsible for the place where the future Hungarian accommodation is located, or to the competent consulate officer of the country where the permanent or temporary residence of the applicant is located or in the country of the applicant’s nationality. Submission of the short-term mobility notification of researchers is free.

The regional directorate shall adopt a decision on the issue of a short-term mobility certificate for the purpose of research within 30 days from having received the complete notification.

The competent immigration authority shall deliver the document evidencing right of residence, i.e. the mobility certificate to the applicant by way of post. The applicant may collect the said document at the competent immigration authority in person if able to evidence that he/she is not in a position to receive the document evidencing right of residence at the mailing address given, however, he/she is required to prove such circumstances.

In case of objection by the authority in the case of the notification by way of a resolution, it may be appealed at the authority of first instance within 8 days. If the applicant introduces any new evidence in the appeal, of which he/she was aware before the decision was adopted, or if the appeal is lodged without showing cause, the authority of first instance shall dismiss the appeal without any examination as to merits. The administrative service fee for the appeal is EUR 20 if submitted at a diplomatic or consular mission, payable primarily in EUR or other convertible currency, exceptionally, in the currency of the State where the notification is submitted, or HUF 5,500 if submitted in Hungary, payable by way of electronic payment instrument (bank card) or in the form of bank deposit (using the cheque supplied by the regional directorate). In respect of yellow cheques, in the “comment” box the client’s name and date of birth, and the case type “Mobility Notification Appeal” shall be indicated.


If you wish to ask for an invoice on the payment of the procedural fee, click on the link below:

Invoice request on payment of procedural fee



Click on the following link to download the forms required for submitting the notification:

-          Notification in the case of short-term mobility of researchers


Forms available for downloading in PDF format, to be filled out manually:

-          Notification in the case of short-term mobility of researchers




a) for the researcher:

- the hosting agreement concluded with the accredited Hungarian research organisation

- the researcher’s short-term mobility plan, indicating also the planned duration and dates of the mobility

- copy of valid residence permit issued for the purpose of research by the first Member State


b) for the researchers' family member:

- proof of the planned duration and dates of the mobility consistent with the researcher’s short-term mobility plan,

- copy of residence permit issued by the first Member State on the basis of family relationship.



The mobility certificate may be issued if third-country national has sufficient means of subsistence and financial resources to cover his/her accommodation costs for the duration of the intended stay and for the return to his/her country of origin or transit to a third country.

The requirement of subsistence may, in particular, be verified by:

·        a statement from a Hungarian or foreign financial institution concerning the applicant’s bank account;

·        an income certificate issued by the tax authority for the previous year;

·        an income certificate issued by the employer;

·      a certificate issued by the employer and/or tax authority evidencing regular income received from abroad;

·        other reliable means.



Enclosed with the notification for short-term mobility certificate for the purpose of research the applicant shall provide proof of having access to comprehensive health insurance services (in particular on the basis of specific other legislation on the social security system, international agreement, or under specific agreement), or that he/she has the necessary financial resources to cover the costs of such services.



A short-term mobility certificate for the purpose of research may be issued only if the applicant provides a genuine address as his/her place of accommodation.

During the process, the immigration authority may request further documents, apart from the mandatory enclosures, for ascertaining the relevant facts of the case, and may take further procedural steps as well. The administrative time limit shall not include the length of time between the receipt of the notice for remedying deficiencies until the time of compliance.  

After the notification is submitted the applicant or his/her representative shall be able attach documents by way of post or electronically. In case the application has been submitted electronically, the call for missing documents and the fulfilment of the call will be carried out electronically as well.



The short-term mobility certificate for the purpose of research constitutes entitlement to stay in Hungary for 180 days in any 360-day period. The validity period of the certificate is determined so that it will not exceed the validity period of the researcher’s residence permit issued by the first Member State.



• Third-country nationals shall retain the duplicate copy of the accommodation registration form in proof of compliance with the registration requirement. Third-country nationals are required to safeguard the confirmation slip received upon notification of the place of accommodation and to carry it on their person at all times. When relocating, third-country nationals shall notify the regional directorate of jurisdiction by reference to the place where the new place of abode is located within three days.

• Third-country nationals are obliged to report without delay to the immigration authority [the regional directorate of the National Directorate-General for Aliens Policing, any police station] if their travel document or document evidencing right of residence is lost, stolen or destroyed. The immigration authority shall confirm receipt of such report in writing. The immigration authority shall be immediately notified in the event that a travel document, which was presumed lost and reported as such, is found subsequently.


Last modified on

2013 Bevándorlási Hivatal, by Chronos Systems

Top Desktop version